Monday 6 August 2012

Youthful Dreams - a poem


Youthful dreams

Youthful dreams
of a knight in shining armour
were short-lived,
as soon as I showed up in
the world of young men,

Whose smiles seemed to
mean a different scene
to the one played out in my head,
where I'd tell myself
he must like you.

“What's your name?”
Would be quickly followed by
“Where do you live; do you live on your own?”
My air of independence
oozing out of every pore.

His game became apparent
as irritation slipped through
“One kiss just won't do” he'd say
when a loving kiss was
all I needed, wanted.

I withdrew a little
and guarded I tried something new.
My love search became an afterthought;
first came affection
followed by sexual connections.

Occasionally love surprised me,
surfacing when he wanted more
and I felt a kind of light-heartedness,
laughter set in,
a self consciousness would capture us

And then as we grew familiar
we would take each other
for granted; jealousy would
creep in and rattle our world.
Trusting became the new challenge.

Love, fun, faded.

©Nicole Moore 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment