Tuesday 4 April 2017

Elegy for Adrian

Adrian Chambers, Italy, the 1980s.

I remember the first time I saw you
Your call and response failed five times
Until you managed to tap me on my shoulder
from the front room window

When I turned around and saw you
Your eyes threw me
We spoke gobbledygook 
as a way of tuning in

And when I asked you a random question—
'Do you drink or smoke?'
Your reply made me smile,
'No but I eat a lot of biscuits.'

And because it was easy to say it,
I asked, 'Any particular kind?'
And you said,
'Custard Creams.'

Your death remains a turning point
Our memories are safe
And We will always
share history.


4th poem for NaPoWriMo2017
ⓒ Nicole Moore


NaPoWriMo's day 3 prompt was an elegy, (I'm not sticking to posting in any particular order) 'but make it centred around something specific or unusual about the person or thing it's about'. I lost my partner Adrian in 1988 and our first meet, in 1980, will be something I savour as a special memory, but it's his confession about Custard Creams that will always make me smile!


No comments:

Post a Comment